Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why the Blog?

I am a skeptic. I live to question the world around me. I am also stubborn (my first word was “no”). I refuse to put any weight in what people tell me until I do a little research for myself. When I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 3 years ago, I took it more as a challenge than anything else. I had a lot of people telling me things back then. And I was in a foreign land (in fact it was the first time I had been back to the hospital since I was born) and I was dealing with a foreign disease (I’ll admit, I was one of the ignorant ones who really didn’t know the difference between type 1 and 2). So, I was in a position to listen (for once). It was a lot to take in. I should start eating this and not that. I should take my insulin this way and not that. I should go to this doctor and that. There was no explanation of why and no time for me to question things. And for a while I took every word as law. But as things became less frightening I found myself back to old habits. What if I eat this instead of that? I started experimenting. And from those experiments came adventures. And from all great adventures come stories to share. So thank you for joining me and stay tuned (and of course, question everything, even--and maybe especially--what I say).

No comments:

Post a Comment