Monday, July 2, 2012

Today

The sun has been conspiring against me. It has been raging since the last weeks of Spring without signs of ceasing. It has been dancing violently on the parched grass and trees of Colorado forests and lighting them up like kindling. The smoke has joined the conspiracy and has been swimming low across my town for weeks. It has been laughing at me from the other side of closed windows, daring me to come out and play.

Between the sweltering heat that lasts deep into the night and the blanket of suffocating smoke, I have been forced to hang up my running shoes. But today I will prevail. Today I get up at 5:00am. Today I slink out into the first rays of morning sun before the heat sets in and before the wind drives the smoke into town. Today, I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment